DMC

The DMC logo. The DMC logo.

DMC (Dollfus-Mieg et Compagnie) is a French firm that was set up in the mid-eighteenth century by Jean-Henri Dollfus, Jean-Jacques Schmalzer and Samuel Koechlin. The three partners established a company known as Dollfus, based in Mulhouse, France. The company produced textiles with hand printed, Indian-style designs for the European market. 

At the end of the eighteenth century Dollfus’s nephew, Daniel Dollfus, took over the business. In 1800, Daniel Dollfus married Anne-Marie Mieg and in the same year he gave the company a new name, Dollfus-Mieg et Compagnie (DMC).

Between 1870 and 1918, Mulhouse was part of Germany. In 1884, DMC established strong links with a famous Austrian embroiderer, Thérèse de Dillmont (1846-1890). She created designs that were printed by DMC to enhance the sales of their yarns. She also established an embroidery school in Mulhouse. In addition, DMC and De Dillmont published the famous Encyclopédie des ouvrages de dames in 1886, which was quickly translated into various languages, including English, Dutch and German, and then reprinted throughout the twentieth century.

By the first half of the twentieth century, DMC had become well-known for the production of a wide range of embroidery materials, such as background fabrics and yarns, as well as a series of design booklets. Following various managerial and economic crises in the 1990's the company was bought by the British investment fund BlueGem in 2016.

See also fashion print DMC 1866

Digital source (retrieved 5 June 2016).

GVE

Last modified on Saturday, 08 October 2016 14:01