Covering the Moon, details
About the authors
Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood (Ph.D. Manchester, 1989) is director of the Textile Research Centre, Leiden, the Netherlands. She is a textile and dress historian specializing in the Middle Eastern dress, notably archaeological items from ancient and medieval Egypt. She has been working in the field of veils and veiling since the early 1980s.
Willem Vogelsang (Ph.D. Groningen, 1990) is the former curator for Southwest and Central Asia of the National Museum of Ethnology, Leiden, the Netherlands. He is now cultural and regional advisor to the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and mainly works in Uruzgan, Afghanistan. His interests focus on the archaeology, history, culture and political developments in Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. One of his main publications is The Afghans (Oxford 2002; updated reprint 2008).
Table of Contents
List of maps
- Chapter 1 The World of Face Veils
- Chapter 2 Veiling before Islam
- Chapter 3 Early Arab Veiling
- Chapter 4 The Earliest Muslim Face Veils
- Chapter 5 Face Veils of the Ottoman Turks
- Chapter 6 Face Veils from the Maghreb
- Chapter 7 Face Veils from Urban Egypt and the Levant
- Chapter 8 Bedouin Face Veils from the Levant
- Chapter 9 The Western Arabian Peninsula
- Chapter 10 Face Veils from the Eastern Arabian Peninsula
- Chapter 11 Iranian Face Veils
- Chapter 12 Afghanistan, Pakistan and Northern India
- Chapter 13 South Central Asia
- Chapter 14 Pan-Islamic Face Veils
- Glossary of Technical Terms
TRC in a nutshell
Hogewoerd 164, 2311 HW Leiden. Tel. +31 (0)71 5134144 / +31 (0)6 28830428 email@example.com
Opening times: Monday to Thursday: 10.00-16.00 hrs, other days by appointment.
Bank account number: NL39 INGB 0002 9823 59
Entrance is free, but donations are always welcome !